Greenville emerged in the 1870’s on the donation land claim of Franklin Pierce, a pioneer of 1852. Greenville became a supply center for those who lived between Buxton and Forest Grove. This crossroads town was located 2 miles south of present-day Banks. Greenville’s early status as a village was signaled by the establishment of a post office in 1871. Three years later, Pierce opened a store, to be joined in 1877 by Hon. Jesse Clemens Moore, another pioneer of 1852. He served as Washington County assessor and sheriff, and member of early Oregon legislature. Greenville was moved to Banks in 1907, which became incorprated in 1921.